Steps to Baptize at St. Joseph:
- Complete Baptism Registration Form (below).
- Attend a one-time Baptism Class. If you previously attended a Baptism class, this requirement has been met. Parents must attend, and if possible godparents should attend. Dates for baptism classes are available on the baptism form.
- Godparents must obtain a Certificate of Sponsorship from the parish where they worship.
- The suggested donation for Baptism is $50.
Children’s baptisms are celebrated communally during our weekend Masses.
Baptisms are not celebrated during the season of Lent, February 22 – April 9, 2023.
Baptisms in English are celebrated on: Saturdays at the 5:00 pm Mass; Sundays at the 8:00 am Mass
Baptisms in Spanish are celebrated on: Saturdays at the 7:00 pm Mass; 1st Sunday of the month during the 12:00 pm Mass; 3rd Sunday of the month at 1:30 pm
Requirements to be a Godparent/Sponsor:
- Only one godparent is required, but you may have two.
- If you choose two, one must be a practicing Catholic. The other may be either a practicing Catholic or another Baptized person. He/she cannot be a “former” Catholic under any circumstances. Also, if you choose two, one must be male and one must be female. Church law does not provide for more than two Sponsors.
- Sponsors cannot be either parent of the one to be Baptized.
- All Catholics chosen as a Sponsor must also satisfy all of the following Church requirements:
- Must be at least 14 years of age.
- Must be Baptized, received First Eucharist and Confirmation.
- If married, must be married before a Catholic Priest or Deacon, or before another clergyman with dispensation from the Bishop.
- Attend Mass regularly on Sundays (or Saturday evening) and Holy Days of Obligation.
- Receive the sacraments of the church regularly.